Valentines Day is right around the corner, and we like to celebrate all of our wonderful girlfriends by hosting an annual Galentine's Day Brunch!
Inspired by Miss Leslie Knope herself (hello Parks and Rec fans!), we love the theme of ladies celebrating ladies. This year we're in Nashville, sharing brunch with a bunch of our fellow musical gals. We're so lucky to be surrounded by a community of amazing, talented and supportive women, and what better way to celebrate them than with mimosas and waffles?
On our menu:
-Red velvet and chocolate waffles with cream cheese drizzle
-Lemon rosemary potatoes
-Raspberry lemonade mimosas
-Heart-shaped pork sausage patties (cut with a heart-shaped cookie cutter)
-Smoked hickory bacon
-Valentines donuts (courtesy of the donut shop)
See below for our waffle and potato recipes.
JULIE'S Red Velvet and Chocolate Waffles
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 5 minutes per waffle
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 egg yolks, beaten
1-1/2 cups whole milk
1/2 cup olive oil
3 egg whites, beaten stiff
3 tablespoons red velvet bakery emulsion
1/2 cup baking cocoa powder
1. Separate egg whites from yolks and whip egg whites until they are stiff. Set aside.
2. Mix dry ingredients (except red velvet emulsion and cocoa powder) together.
3. Combine egg yolks and milk.
4. Slowly stir in dry ingredients with the egg yolks and milk.
5. Slowly stir in olive oil.
5. Fold in egg whites (be careful not to over-mix).
6. Divide batter in half, adding red velvet emulsion to one half of batter and cocoa powder to the other half.
7. Spray cooking spray on waffle iron, and pour in 3/4 cup batter. Bake for 5 minutes or until done. Waffles can be reheated and crisped in oven on broil if necessary.
Cream Cheese Drizzle:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened at room temperature
4 tablespoons butter, softened at room temperature
3 tablespoons half and half cream
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Whip cream cheese and butter together until smooth.
2. Mix in powdered sugar and vanilla.
3. Add cream until drizzle is smooth.
CARLI’S Lemon Rosemary Potatoes
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 45 minutes Serves 6.
8 medium-sized mixed gold and red potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil 2 tablespoons lemon juice 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary chopped fine or 1 tablespoon dried 1 teaspoon paprika 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper 1 teaspoon sea salt
DIRECTIONS 1. Clean potatoes and slice in thin 1/8" slices. (If prepping the night before, soak in water and lemon juice overnight) 2. Cover a large baking pan with parchment paper. Toss potatoes with olive oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle paprika, rosemary, pepper and salt evenly on top. 3. Bake in oven for 45 minutes at 400° F or until lightly browned.
Photo credit: Trisha Evelyn
XO Twin Kennedy